Specialist Orthodontist vs. Special Interest in Orthodontics.


Did you consult a specialist orthodontist or a dentist with a special interest in orthodontics?
What is the difference?
First of all, both are qualified dentists and have to work in their profession for a minimum of 3 years.
An orthodontist is a dentist who undertakes an additional 2 to 3 years of university fulltime training and studies in Orthodontics. Only an orthodontist has the post-graduate training to practice orthodontics.

Orthodontists are focused and specialised in straightening teeth, making them bite together correctly along with treating skeletal irregularities.
The New Zealand Association of Orthodontists (NZAO) is a professional organisation dedicated to ensuring you receive high-quality specialist orthodontic care. Members of the NZAO must have a recognised post-graduate qualification in orthodontics and are required to undergo regular professional development to maintain standards.
Some dentists also provide orthodontic treatment for adults and children. They provide non-specialist orthodontic treatment and treat patients without knowledge of the full range of possible treatment options.

Only an orthodontist can offer a specialist diagnosis and see the full picture of treatment options.
Many cases will require specialist treatment. Your dentist may advise you if the treatment required is outside their expertise; however, if you are not sure do not hesitate to seek a second opinion. You don’t need a referral from your dentist or dental therapist to make an appointment with a specialist orthodontist.
What can we do to make you smile?
Claudia & Lutz Bachmann Orthodontics